Monday, November 5, 2012

Visit to Chiayi 嘉義之旅 (2.11.12)

My friend and I decided last minute to visit Alishan last weekend. Because of travelling time, I decided to stay in chiayi for one night before meeting my friend and visit Alishan together on Saturday. Chiayi does not have a lot of attractions but it has nice people :) Although chiayi has its own bus transport system, I traveled round using a bicycle I borrowed at Chiayi train station. Free bikes are for loan for 24 hours at Chiayi train station but there are only about 10 bikes for loan. With my bike, I managed to visit a few places in Chiayi, including 嘉義鐵道藝術村(Old train warehouses changed to hold art exhibitions), 射日塔 ( Sun shooting tower), 蘭潭 (Lan tan), 文化路夜市 (Night market) and other places.

My first destination was 嘉義鐵道藝術村( Art site of chiayi railway warehouse)。It is an art village using old train warehouses next to the train station. I was pretty unlucky as all the art galleries were in the midst of changing exhibitions so they were closed. I could only take photos of the train stations and the exterior.

At the entrance
Train tracks 

Train station is just next door

One of the exhibitions. Will only start on 11.3 :(

Wall mural

The place itself
After visiting art site of chiayi railway warehouse, I borrowed a bike from the train station and started to travel around. My next destination is 北門 (Pei Men train station) and nearby. Pei men train station is the train station where you go to take the alishan train from chiayi to alishan but it is currently not available.

Bike for the day

Pei men train station

Train

The sign

Restored Japanese houses near Pei men

There are altogether 28 houses. 

Currently, there is an exhibition held within the houses. Picture: dragonfly made from wood

Elephant sculpture

There is a pond between houses


Blooming lily

Sculpture of a kind of tiger?

Lizard popping out from a pile of boxes

Row of umbrellas

Name of the place
Third destination: Chiayi park ( Sun shooting tower, Confucius temple) Here, I met a very helpful person who not only told me how to get to sun shooting tower, he also accompanied me to the place itself because he was scared I would get lost :)

Chiayi park

Chiayi park

Confucius temple

It is not as grand as other Confucius temples, only has 大成殿.

Sun shooting tower. About 11 storey high

This depicts a legend about 2 suns on earth and a warrior shooting down the extra one

Blooming flowers 
Fourth destination: Lan Tan. Lan Tan is quite a huge lake with a cycling path around it. However, most of the time, you cannot really see the lake from the cycling path. It was pleasant to cycle along the path though. :)

Entrance

Part of the cycling path

Viewing pavilion

Lan tan is just next to the path.

Lan tan 蘭潭

Sculpture


Another part of the cycling path
Fifth destination: 文化路夜市 Wenhua road night market. This night market is quite similar to other night markets I have been to, lots of snacks stall and stalls selling clothes. One thing different is that traffic can still pass through the street which I do not like. Motorcycles and cars can just brush by you. :(

Night market

Dinner

Clothes shop

Motorcycles zooming past

The temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment